Offering virtual care is a great way to meet market demand and attract new patients. But to get the most out of your virtual care service, integration with your internal IT systems is a must. Benefits of integration, like enhancing the value of your patient portal and ensuring continuity of care, are just the tip of the iceberg. Choosing a virtual care partner who offers advanced integration with your internal IT systems can bring you some surprising advantages.
1. Enhance patient experience
Patient experience is a major focus in healthcare these days. Health systems are launching virtual care services in an attempt to improve patient experience, but when the virtual care experience is disconnected from other care delivery systems, this goal is hard to attain. Integrating virtual care with your patient portal and EHR, however, can tie a virtual care offering to patient experience objectives.
- A CCDA integration with your EHR can help make the online adaptive interview more personalized by accessing information from the patient health record, including medication allergies and health history.
- Offering single sign-on (SSO) from the patient portal to your virtual care service means patients experience a seamless handoff when moving between these systems
2. Improve patient retention
The healthcare landscape is becoming more competitive, and patients are making healthcare purchasing decisions differently. This combination means that healthcare consumers are increasingly likely to seek care outside of their primary care provider or medical home. Offering virtual care can help attract and retain these patients, and integrating with your patient portal through SSO can foster closer ties with your health system. Integrating with your appointment scheduling system can help prevent patients from seeking care elsewhere by making scheduling follow-up care or other appointments quick and easy.
3. Seamlessly transition between virtual and in-person care
Systems integration can help marry the virtual visit with in-clinic services. Integrating your virtual care platform with your patient scheduling system, as well as with systems like labs, can help fit virtual care into the overall care continuum. Pairing virtual visits with in-clinic services can also increase the number of conditions your health system can safely treat through your virtual care platform. Start by pairing virtual visits with in-clinic services such as lab testing or imaging, and grow your virtual care service by incorporating follow-up care or referrals. Our ZipTicket® workflow and integration with lab systems brings the virtual visit and in-clinic services together in a process that saves patients time and adds depth to clients’ virtual care services.
4. Reduce physician time spent on EHR data entry
Let’s face it, your health system has spent good money on your EHR system. But recent studies show it’s eating into patient interactions and physicians’ personal time, and that EHR-related data entry is a major cause of physician burnout. Effective integration, however, can reduce time spent entering data into the EHR. A standard EHR integration with a store-and-forward virtual care platform like Zipnosis can map information from the virtual visit directly to the EMR, eliminating the need for double documentation. Advanced integrations can take things even further. HL7 and other EHR integration options can create patient records in the EHR, eliminating the need to create a new record when the patient comes in for an office visit. And, by pairing EHR integration with certain patient scheduling integrations, your health system can add an adaptive interview to the front end of an office visit. This provides the clinician with a structured clinical note already added to the EHR, giving them more time to interact with the patient and minimizing the amount of data entry necessary per visit.
5. Get ready for the future
Moving forward, consumer driven data from wearables and the “internet of things” is going to inform health decisions – both from a patient and provider standpoint. The healthcare industry is poised to see numerous benefits from this transition, according to a recent CIO article. However, flexibility and communication are going to be increasingly important to reaping these benefits, particularly as technology moves forward. Effective integration between virtual care and your IT systems can tighten workflows, improve communication and give your health system the foundation to adapt as your patients further embed technology in their lives.
Put integration to work for you
At Zipnosis, we offer advanced integration options to effectively connect your existing systems with our leading-edge virtual care platform. We interoperate effectively with any EHR, and offer advanced options including:
- HL7 integration, covering use cases for patient registration, transcriptions, billing, results, and more
- CCDA integration with your EHR provides a more streamlined workflow and personalized adaptive interview
- Advanced EHR integrations reduce the need for double documentation, since information is securely transferred from one system to another
- Single sign-on (SSO) – both patient and provider portal options offer a more seamless experience
- Integration with your patient scheduling system removes barriers to care and ties patients more closely to your health system
- ZipTicket effectively provides service continuity between virtual visits and in-clinic services, increasing the number and type of conditions your virtual care platform can address